TODAY: One of the perks of working in game development is doing all kinds of cool research — Make your own firework displays in Animal Crossing — New Star Wars VR game makes you a droid technician
More Resident Evil Village leaks (May Contain Spoilers)
A bunch of details about Resident Evil Village have leaked – but there's no more news about werewolves yet.
As always, there's no real proof that this is not just wild speculation, but it wouldn't be the first time the Resident Evil Ambassador program leaks.
Latest leak highlights
- Very pale enemies, with almost rotten skin and forehead tattoos
- Enemies wear armour that can be shot off
- Enemies use melee weapons like swords, axes and daggers
- Enemies jump, grab and bite like in Resident Evil 3, forcing you to mash buttons to reduce damage
- Enemies with swords can immediately behead you
- Boss fight
- Major fight against the witch Olga, who turns into a swarm of insects
- Olga cackles when spotting you, and assault you with insects
- Use fire to stave off the insects and render Olga vulnerable
- Weapons and inventory
- Weapons include a handgun, shotgun and an unbreakable knife
- Some melee weapons such as the axe will wear and break with use
- UI looks like mix between Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 7
- Game pauses when browsing inventory like in the Remakes
- Enemies don't drop items, they are found in crates and vases
Coming 2021: Resident Evil Village is in development for PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series and is scheduled for release in 2021. It picks up a few years after the events in Resident Evil 7, after Chris Redfield turns up and ruins everything for poor Ethan.
Time For A Quick Daily Quiz?
Which future Sith Lord led the Republic during the Mandalorian Wars?
- Darth Revan
- Darth Malak
- Darth Sion
- Darth Brandon
WayForward binged on DuckTales while remastering the NES classic
WayForward did a lot of research while working on DuckTales: Remastered. They watched the entire TV series to find out which episodes the original game was inspired by, which allowed them to figure out the intent of the artists and designers behind the original NES game.
For example, the game features a Scrooge sprite where he's wearing a costume from the episode ‘Masked Mallard’, which you can see in the documentary about the remake. The title screen also mimics the original cartoon intro, and all surviving voice actors reprise their roles including the 93-year-old Alan Young.
Dreams and fireworks in the new Animal Crossing: New Horizons update
The Animal Crossing: New Horizons summer update arrives tomorrow, and promises a bunch of festive additions to your summer vacation.
First off, there will be a fireworks display above your island every Sunday at 7:00pm, which can be customized with your own designs. You can also buy raffle tickets in the plaza to earn a variety of festive items.
If you have a Switch Online subscription, you can also enjoy the new Dreaming feature. Take a nap in your home and you will be transported to a strange realm where you will be greeted by Luna. With her help, you can make your island appear in friends' dreams by sharing your Dream Address.
Finally, Switch Online subscribers will also get access to a new Island Backup & Restoration Service, which lets you restore your island in case your Switch is lost or damaged.
Stamina feature added to Pokémon Masters, Dragonite pops by your café
The next Pokémon Go Community Day starts on August 8th and will be all about Magikarp. Pokémon Masters has just been updated and now offers new Stamina and Training Course features.
- Stamina has been added and is spent completing certain tasks
- Stamina is replenished every hour; is determined by new ranking system
- Training Courses replaces the Training Area system
- EX Challenges can now be soloed; EX Courses in EX Plaza are co-op
- Type Skills added; two or more Sync Pairs of same type enables boosts
- Move Candy Coin item added; can be exchanged for 5 Star Move Candy
- Sync Pairs now set at Level Cap 105 minimum
Pokémon Café Mix
- Dragonite visits until August 12th; can be recruited if repeatedly invited
- First Grand Prix event is live for 72 hours until July 31st
- Pokémon GO Community Day – August 8th
- Focus on Magikarp, plus Aqua Tail for Gyarados
- Community Day Box for 180 Coins, containing:
- 30 Ultra Balls
- Elite Charge TM
- 6 Star Pieces
- Special Research with paid ticket for ‘Making a Splash!’
- Field Research from 11.00am until 5.00pm local time
What Else Happened Today?
- Tales From the Galaxy’s Edge is a new Star Wars VR game set on the planet Batuu where you play as a droid technician
- Microids reveals line-up for rest of the year, including Asterix and Obelix XXL Romastered and Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
- Microsoft reveals Games with Gold for August and Portal Knights, Override: Mech City Brawl, MX Unleashed and Red Faction II are on the way
- PlayStation 5 Activities feature allows you to ‘load specific game parts’ which saves you from loading the entire game and lets you jump in
- Rockstar Games goes back to nature with The Naturalist, a free content update arriving for Red Dead Online
Today's Gaming Deal Highlights
There are so many great deals now that it felt wrong not to share some of them ahead of the weekend's bargain extravaganza.
Control (PS4/Xbox One) £19.99 @ Amazon UK
De Blob (Nintendo Switch) $19.93 @ Amazon US
Kalypso Media Publisher Sale (PC) up to 80% off @ Humble Store
2K Games Week (PC) up to 80% off @ Humble Store
Very Positive Indie Sale (PC) up to 90% off @ Humble Store
THQ Nordic Publisher Sale (PC) up to 80% off @ Humble Store
Humble Raw Fury 2020 Bundle (PC) $1 @ Humble Bundle
Mortal Kombat - Liu Kang (Funko Pop!) $4.99 @ Amazon US
Mortal Kombat - Raiden (Funko Pop!) $4.99 @ Amazon US
Mortal Kombat - Scorpion (Funko Pop!) $4.99 @ Amazon US
Monster Hunter - Ratha (Funko Pop!) $8.99 @ Amazon US
Jedi Fallen Order Inquisitor (Funko Pop!) $4.99 @ Amazon US
Cuphead in Carnival Chaos: A Cuphead Novel (Book) $9.99 @ Amazon US
Monopoly Arcade Pac-Man Game (Board Game) $29.99 @ Amazon US
Good Smile Beam Kirby Nendoroid (Toys) $44.70 @ Amazon US
World of Warcraft: The Official Cookbook Gift Set (Pre-order) $44.99 @ Amazon US
If you buy any of these games by following our links, DailyBits will earn a small commission, so thanks in advance! Saturday will bring even more amazing video game deals, so stay tuned!
Quiz Answer - Did You Get It Right?
Which future Sith Lord led the Republic during the Mandalorian Wars?
Answer: Darth Revan!
Knights of the Old Republic is fondly remembered as one of the greatest Star Wars games ever, in large part because of the big twist at the end that casts the whole story in a new light.
Both fallen and redeemed, Revan is one of the few Siths to return from the dark side and live to tell the tale – although the Knights of the Old Republic games are not exactly canon, belonging to the Star Wars Legends universe, formerly known as the Extended Universe.
Still, there is some overlap with the main series: The Rise of Skywalker Visual Dictionary art book says that each Sith legion was named after an ancient Sith Lord, and that the third legion is named after Revan. It's not much more than an Easter Egg, but even so we can't help but hope that there will be a Knights of the Old Republic movie one day.
Today's issue of DailyBits was written by Gavin Herman, Erlend Grefsrud, Simon Priest, and Jamie Davey.