Baldur’s Gate 3 At PAX
Larian’s Baldur’s Gate 3 will appear on Steam Early Access this summer
Larian Studios has finally revealed Baldur’s Gate 3 gameplay, and ravenous fans have greedily devoured every morsel old-school D&D goodness. They have also announced that they will release on Early Access in a few months.
Many companies might find the idea of following in BioWare’s footsteps intimidating, but Larian has spent the last ten years making epic single-player and co-op RPGs, and appear to be handling the classic franchise with aplomb. You can watch the whole reveal from PAX East on YouTube and enjoy the opening cinematic.
- Turn-based rather than real-time and pausable combat
- Simultaneous turns for party and enemies
- Everyone can use bonus actions to widen the tactical space
- The whole game can be played like it was turn-based or classic real-time
- The story revolves around the Mind Flayer Nautiloid who attacks a city, abducts people and implants Illithid tadpoles
- The Githyanki appear and attack the Nautiloid, causing it to flee and eventually crash
- The player character survives abduction but has been implanted and has seven days to find a cure
- Tadpole implants give abilities like mind links and other unusual powers
Races and classes:
- Races revealed so far:
- Six classes:
Time For A Quick Daily Quiz?
Who developed Tales from the Borderlands alongside Gearbox?
- Sierra Entertainment
- Telltale Games
- Stormind Games
- King Art Games
Bravely Default started as a sequel to Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light
Bravely Default: Flying Fairy – released in Japan in 2012 and appearing elsewhere in 2013/14 – started out as a sequel to Square Enix’s 2009 Nintendo DS title Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light says producer Tomoya Asano.
Silicon Studio landed the project after impressing Square Enix with a prototype, and while it had left behind the Final Fantasy franchise, it kept a sense of “comfortable familiarity” since it kept the series’ battle system and setting.
Tomoya Asano calls it a “Japanese RPG with American content thrown in” since it was heavily influenced by Western pop culture.