#36: Miyamoto shares memories of Iwata

TODAY: Learn about Dragon Age 4 in new short stories — Hideo Kojima reveals how to get rich making games — Could Sega have a new NiGHTs game in the works?

Top Story

Miyamoto shares details about his relationship with the late Satoru Iwata

A new book entitled Iwata-san was published today in Japan, featuring interviews with Shigeru Miyamoto (creator of Mario) and Shigesato Itoi (creator of Earthbound) on their relationships with the late Satoru Iwata. The book is only available in Japanese for now, but IGN has published translated excerpts.

“To me, he was a friend more than anything… It never felt like he was my boss or that I was working under him. He never got angry; we never fought about anything.”

Miyamoto also outlined memories of one of his first meals with Iwata, who was in Kyoto to work on a project at the time. Both had been working and decided to go and get a bowl of ramen for dinner.

“Nintendo doesn’t pay for social expenses, so we had to go Dutch on the bill.” says Miyamoto. “That became a tradition that lasted even after he became company president and I became an executive.”

From that point onwards, the two often ate lunch together to discuss new ideas. Miyamoto goes on to mention how this is something that he greatly misses doing now.

“Since he passed away, Nintendo has been doing just fine.” says Miyamoto. “He left many words and structures that live on in the work of our younger employees today. The only problem is that, if there is some good-for-nothing idea I come up with over the weekend, I have no one to share it with the next Monday. That I can no longer hear him say ‘Oh, about that thing…’ is a bit of a problem for me. It makes me sad.”

Shigesato Itoi also weighed in on his experience with Iwata, looking back on it fondly.

“Iwata said that the vision behind his business was to make everyone happy: himself, his friends at work, and his customers… It’s funny how you remember the most insignificant things, but whenever Iwata used the word ‘happy,’ he would show you the palms of both of his hands. That’s something I don’t think I’ll ever forget.”

Saturo Iwata passed away in July 2015, only 55 years old. His death shook the games industry and inspired many fans to publish artwork and tributes in his memory. During his time as President at Nintendo he oversaw the release of the Nintendo DS, Wii, Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U, and also worked on a huge number of games since the early 1980s.

Time For A Quick Daily Quiz?

How many Wolfenstein games were developed by id Software?

  • Just the one
  • Two
  • Three
  • Four

The answer will be revealed at the end of this issue!

News Bits

Dragon Age 4 setting revealed by short story collection

BioWare fans are painfully aware that Dragon Age 4 is still years away, but that’s not stopping them speculating about the upcoming game. Fortunately, the Dragon Age writers have dropped hints in the past through tie-in novels, revealing information about the setting and characters months before the games have shipped.

The latest book is an anthology of short stories set in the Dragon Age universe – Dragon Age: Tevinter Nights. This would suggest Dragon Age 4 is set in the Tevinter Imperium, a nation ruled by mages. If you can’t wait to learn more about the next chapter in the series, you will definitely want to read these short stories. Dragon Age: Tevinter Nights will be available on March 10th next year.

The Red Dead Redemption Remake rumours were fake

The Red Dead Redemption 2 DLC rumours published by Reddit user throwaway11113454 has received plenty of coverage. The user claimed that a ‘friend’ – an environment artist at Rockstar – told him the studio is working on DLC similar to RDR’s Undead Nightmare expansion. The same source also allegedly stated that Rockstar is working on a remake of the original RDR game, with plans to release it on the game’s 10th anniversary in 2020.

After watching the rumours gain some traction, the Reddit user has finally admitted that “there is no dlc for Red Dead Redemption 2 or remake of the first game as far as I know.”, claiming that “this was an experiment I have always wanted to do regarding the spreading of rumors in video game culture.”.

A few other Reddit users used this opportunity to criticise journalists and YouTubers for covering rumours propagated by an unknown Reddit user with previous post history. While some users think the experiment was ‘worth it’, throwaway1113454 stated that “…This is my fault, I should’ve never spread a false rumor like this. And I genuinely apologize for leading you and others on”.

Daily Fact

Wolfenstein has not always been a first-person shooter series

This week sees the release of not one but two new games in the Wolfenstein series of shooters, and both of them are firsts for the franchise: Wolfenstein: Youngblood is the first co-op game, and Wolfenstein: Cyberpilot is the first VR game. The series has enabled kicking Nazi butt since 1992, when id Software’s Wolfenstein 3D – one of the very earliest first-person shooters – was released. However, the series did not begin with that game!

In fact, Wolfenstein 3D was the third game in the Wolfenstein series. The first two were top-down stealth games, which is probably why stealth features so heavily in the later games and the reason why you can sneak up on guards in Wolfenstein 3D. Castle Wolfenstein was released all the way back in 1981, and sequel Beyond Castle Wolfenstein came out in 1984 – so there was an 8-year gap between the second and third game!

Daily News

No battle royale from Hideo Kojima

Japanese video game auteur Hideo Kojima is famous for a reason: He redefined stealth gameplay, the way stories are told in video games, and the use of cinematography in cutscenes – all with the Metal Gear Solid series.

At San Diego Comic Con 2019, Kojima hosted a panel where he talked about a variety of topics, including the fastest way to make money in game biz:

“The easiest way to make money is to make a game where everyone is on an island trying to shoot each other. I don’t want to make that.”

This statement sparked some controversy, since it might appear that Kojima is belittling developers of battle royale games. The bulk of the criticism comes from people reading Patrick Shanley’s tweet featuring the quote, rather than this video, which provides a healthy dose of context.

It’s tempting to think Kojima was taking a shot at developers, while the video makes it clear that this was just a joke. In the video, Kojima states that he wants to make games that will stand the test of time and will live on years down the line.

Kojima has never been the type to make games without a strong story with layers of meaning. Even Kojima’s earliest games – like Metal Gear Solid on MSX2 from 1987 – ignores apparent technical limitations and tries to tell stories unlike any other in the medium.

If anything, Kojima’s playful jab should make you think about what the battle royale genre means for the direction games are headed, both as a business and an artform. Only time will tell if games like PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS and Fortnite will leave a lasting mark on the industry.

Two Point Hospital will doctor its way to consoles this year

Management sim fans will be happy to hear that Two Point Hospital – spiritual successor to Theme Hospital – will arrive on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch, both physically and digitally, in late 2019. The console version will also include expansions Bigfoot and Pebberly Island, meaning a grand total of 21 hospitals and 119 illnesses to take care of.

Developer Two Point Studios has redesigned the control scheme from the ground up specifically for console to ensure a smooth experience. The free updates from the PC version will also be brought over to the console versions, meaning the copy-paste rooms feature, and unique customisation options added due to popular demand will be included.

The developer will be publishing a series of blog posts explaining exactly what to expect from the console version and why it’ll be the best one. Over the next few days, Two Point Studios will be publishing the thoughts of their Senior UI/UX Designer, Lauren Woodroffe; Writer/Designer, Harry Puttock and Brand Director, Craig Laycrock. For now, you can feast your eyes on the console announcement trailer.

Two Point Hospital launched in August 2018 to considerable acclaim, earning an impressive overall score of 83 on Metacritic. The game succeeded in bringing the classic Theme Hospital formula into the current generation, and improving on it.

Weekly Giveaway

Rise of Insanity

It’s time for another awesome giveaway from all of us here at Dailybits – and this one’s not for the faint of heart. It’s a first-person psychological horror game called Rise of Insanity – think Silent Hill, Layers of Fear, or P.T., except a little bit scarier. It’s even got VR support, if you think you’re brave enough…

Every day this week, we will give one lucky winner on our active reader list a PS4 code!

“Set in America in the 1970s, the story centers around Dr. Stephen Dowell, a renowned psychologist faced with a difficult patient who shows distinct yet contradictory symptoms of different mental disorders.

The life of the doctor himself is also shrouded in mystery – you must step into his shoes to find out the truth. What terrible fate has befallen your wife and child? Is your new patient, on whom you are testing your experimental treatment methods, somewhat responsible for what happened?

Who is to blame? Don’t lose your nerve, and overcome your fear.”

News Bits

Will we be seeing another Smash Court Tennis game soon?

Bandai Namco filed a trademark in Europe for a game called ‘Smash Tennis’ yesterday, but before you get excited – this isn’t a Smash Bros. Tennis game! Some may remember the Namco Tennis Smash Court series from a few console generations back, but it’s been a while since the last entry, Smash Court Tennis 3, which launched back in 2007, featuring world class tennis players Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Serena Williams.

The game received mixed reviews and the series was left dormant… until now. While we only have the EUTM file information to look at for now, we’re hoping that more information will be published soon, potentially at Gamescom 2019.

New NiGHTs game could be on the way

Sega has filed a trademark for “Nights Dream Wheel” in Japan, leading to speculation that we could finally see another NiGHTs game in the near future. The trademark includes “home use (console game).”, meaning it’s probably not a mobile game.

Last week, Sega announced a remastered port of Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz for PC, PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch. If Banana Blitz is anything to go by, there is a chance Nights Dream Wheel could be a remastered port of the 2007 Wii game NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams for the Wii.. It only took a few weeks for more information to be announced following the Banana Blitz trademark registration, so we shouldn’t be left in the dark for long.

Quiz Answer - Did You Get It Right?

How many Wolfenstein games were developed by id Software?

Answer: Two!

Id Software are the creators of Doom, Quake, Rage, and – um – Commander Keen, and pretty much invented the First-Person Shooter as we know it with Hovertank 3D, Catacomb Abyss and Wolfenstein 3D in the very early 90s.

As we learned in today’s Daily Fact, that was actually the third game in the Wolfenstein series – which spans 13 games over the course of 38 years, leading up to this week’s Youngblood and Cyberpilot.

However, id Software only actually made one other game in the series – standalone expansion Wolfenstein: Spear of Destiny. Id Software moved on to make Doom and Quake, and the next Wolfenstein game wouldn’t launch until Return to Castle Wolfenstein in 2001, developed by Xatrix (better known as Gray Matter, and now a part of Treyarch). MachineGames – the current steward of the series – have helped make 5 Wolfenstein games so far… with at least one more left to come!

DailyBits Feedback

Help us Improve DailyBits!

We hope you’ve enjoyed this issue of our e-zine, DailyBits! Feedback is extremely important, and we are grateful for any time you can spare to provide feedback on this issue and help us improve future ones. It would be very helpful if you could add us to your email contact list, or otherwise drag our emails from the “Promotions” folder to “Primary” (on Gmail only) just to ensure that future editions don’t come in as spam.

Please feel free to send any feedback over to team@dailybits.news. Thank You!