TODAY: Former Sony executive warns that AAA games are not sustainable — Nintendo wants a piece of the esports pie with Pokémon MOBA — Will the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater remakes feature Spider-Man?
New Game Plus Expo 2020 Showcase
The New Game Plus Expo 2020 Showcase opened featuring over 40 games ranging “from action to puzzle-solving and even storytelling,” with an associated special Steam sale. The event started yesterday, and includes titles from Sega, Atlus, Idea Factory, NIS America, SNK Corporation and more.
- 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (ATLUS) — 13 Stories Trailer — 09.08.2020 (PlayStation 4)
- Billion Road (BANDAI NAMCO) — Gameplay Trailer — Out Now (PC,Switch)
- Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 (INTI CREATES CO.) — World Premiere Trailer — Coming Soon (PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4,Switch)
- Bright Memory: Infinite (FYQD Studio) — NGPX Trailer — Coming Soon (PC, Xbox Series X)
- Café Enchanté (Idea Factory) — Demo Trailer — Fall 2020 (Switch)
- Cat Girl Without Salad: Amuse-Bouche (WayForward) — NGPX Trailer — Out Now (Switch)
- Catherine: Full Body (ATLUS) — NGPX Trailer — 07.07.2020 (Switch)
- Collar X Malice (Idea Factory) — Demo Trailer — 06.25.2020 (Switch)
- Collar X Malice -Unlimited- (Idea Factory) — Demo Trailer — 08.13.2020 (Switch)
- Cosmic Defenders (Fiery Squirrel) — Teaser Trailer — Out Now (Switch)
- Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Anniversary Edition (Toydea Inc.) — 10th Anniversary Announcement — Available Now (iOS, Android)
- Death end re;Quest 2 (IDEA FACTORY / COMPILE HEART) — Welcome to Le Choara Trailer — 08.25.2020 (PC, PlayStation 4)
- Evolutis (Poke Life Studio) — Demo recap video PAX East 2020 — Q1 2021 (PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Switch)
- FAIRY TAIL (GUST) — NGPX Trailer — 07.31.2020 (PC, PlayStation 4, Switch)
- Fallen Legion Revenants (YummyYummyTummy) — Announcement Trailer — Early 2021 (PlayStation 4, Switch)
- Fight Crab (Nussoft) — NGPX Trailer — 07.30.2020 (PC) / Coming soon (Switch)
- Giraffe and Annika (atelier mimina) — Announcement Trailer — 08.25.2020 (US) / 08.28.2020 (EU) (PlayStation 4, Switch)
- Guilty Gear -Strive- (Arc System Works) — Millia and Zato Gameplay Footage — Early 2021 (PlayStation 4)
- Idol Manager (GlitchPitch) — NGPX Trailer — TBA 2020 (PC)
- Legends of Ethernal (Lucid Dreams Studio) — Release Trailer — Fall 2020 (PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Switch)
- Mad Rat Dead (Nippon Ichi Software) — Announcement Trailer — 10.30.2020 (PlayStation 4, Switch)
- MightySwitch Force! Collection (WayForward) — NGPX Trailer — Out Now (PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Switch)
- NEOGEO POCKET COLOR SELECTION (Code Mystics) — Trailer — Summer 2020 (Switch)
- Neptunia Virtual Stars (IDEA FACTORY / COMPILE HEART) — Announcement Trailer — TBA 2021 (PlayStation 4)
- Piofiore: Fated Memories (Idea Factory) — Demo Trailer — Fall 2020 (Switch)
- Pretty Princess Party (Nippon Columbia) — Demo Trailer — Fall 2020 (Switch)
- Prinny 1•2: Exploded and Reloaded (Nippon Ichi Software) — Spotlight Trailer — 10.13.2020(US) / 10.16.2020 (EU) (Switch)
- Re:ZERO - Starting Life in Another World: The Prophecy of the Throne (Chime Corporation) — Reveal Trailer — Winter 2020 (PC, PlayStation 4, Switch)
- River City Girls (WayForward) — NGPX Trailer — Out Now (PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Switch)
- ROBOTICS;NOTES DOUBLE PACK (MAGES. Inc.) — NGPX Trailer — 10.13.2020 (PC, PlayStation 4, Switch)
- SAMURAI SHODOWN - SEASON PASS 2 - GUEST DLC CHARACTER (SNK CORPORATION) — DLC Character Trailer — 06.24.2020 (PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Switch)
- SAMURAI SHODOWN NEOGEO COLLECTION (Digital Eclipse) — NGPX Trailer — 07.28.2020 (PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Switch)
- Shantae and the Seven Sirens (WayForward) — NGPX Trailer — Out Now (PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Switch, Apple Arcade)
- Shiren the Wanderer: The Tower of Fortune and the Dice of Fate (Spike Chunsoft Co.) — NGPX Trailer — TBA 2020 (PC, Switch)
- TASOMACHI | Tasogare ni Nemuru Machi (Orbital Express) — NGPX Trailer — Coming Soon (PC)
- Tin & Kuna (Black River Studios) — Demo Trailer — Fall 2020 (PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Switch)
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III (Nihon Falcom Corporation) — Announcement Trailer — 06.30.2020 (US) (Switch)
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV (Nihon Falcom Corporation) — Gameplay Trailer — 10.27.2020 (PlayStation 4) / Coming Soon (PC, Switch)
- Vitamin Connection (WayForward) — NGPX Trailer — Out Now (Switch)
- void tRrLM(); //Void Terrarium (Nippon Ichi Software) — Gameplay Trailer — 07.14.2020 (US) / 07.10.2020 (EU) (PlayStation 4, Switch)
- Volta-X (GungHo America) — Gameplay Reveal Trailer — Summer 2020 (Switch)
- Ys IX: Monstrum Nox (Nihon Falcom Corporation) — Announcement Trailer — TBA 2021 (PC, PlayStation 4, Switch)
Time For A Quick Daily Quiz?
Which Tony Hawk game featured Spiderman as an unlockable skater?
- Tony Hawk’s Shred
- Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2
- Tony Hawk’s Underground
- Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 5
Lars Ulrich insisted on including Slayer in the Guitar Hero: Metallica line-up
Guitar Hero: Metallica was a veritable buffet of classic hard rock, but came very close to dropping Slayer from the set list. Angel of Death was first approved, but the suits at Activision got worried about its controversial lyrics and wanted to get rid of Slayer.
Fortunately, Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich wasn't having any of it. He said Slayer has “got to be part of any heavy metal video game.” Angel of Death didn't make it, but was replaced by War Ensemble, which had to be rushed in just before release. That's not the only catastrophe the game narrowly avoided: The box art very nearly misspelled Lynyrd Skynyrd!
Shawn Layden Talks AAA
Triple-A games are not sustainable, says former Sony executive
Major game's can't just keep getting bigger, warns former PlayStation Worldwide Studios executive Shawn Layden. The spiralling cost of development is “just not sustainable”.
Not that long ago, a big game cost around $1 million to develop, but budgets between $80-150 million are not uncommon, and that does not include the cost of marketing.
"I don't think that, in the next generation, you can take those numbers and multiply them by two and think that you can grow," he warned, and said the “industry as a whole needs to sit back and go, 'Alright, what are we building?'”.
Too much stuff: The constant pressure for bigger games with longer playtime and more content risks excluding “interesting creators and their stories out of the market if that's the kind of threshold they have to meet”, and that's not going to be healthy for the industry in the long term. While the cost of developing games has increased ten-fold, games cost pretty much the same as they always have and that will have to change eventually.
Short and sweet: “If you don't have elasticity on the price-point, but you have huge volatility on the cost line, the model becomes more difficult. I think this generation is going to see those two imperatives collide,” Layden continued. He would like to see “a return to the 12 to 15 hour” games, since that would let him “finish more games, first of all”.
Pokemon News and Events
MOBA-like Pokémon Unite unveiled
The latest Pokémon Presents Direct broadcast earlier today, announcing the latest news from The Pokémon Company.
The brunt of the video was dedicated to Pokémon Unite for Switch, iOS and Android, a MOBA-esque online game that clearly aims to establish Pokémon in the esports market. The announcement included a mock match, complete with commentary.
- Developed by Timi Studios, in partnership with Tencent Games
- Emphasis on co-operative play with a pick-up-and-play design ethos
- Two teams of 5 Pokémon fight to capture 5 points each
- Teams compete to score the most points within a time limit
- All Pokémon begin at level 1, and evolve throughout the match
- Heal by retreating to conquered points
- Features unique ‘Unite Moves’ for Pokémon
- Free-to-start title with cross-platform multiplayer
- Expect plenty of in-app purchases
What Else Happened Today?
- Eight new skaters announced for Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2, Warehouse demo available on August 14th if you pre-order
- Minecraft Nether update now available for Java Edition making the biggest game update ever available for all players
- Nintendo announces Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 8.0 update with balance changes and other additions will launch within a week
- Night Call will appear on Xbox Game Pass for PC and console on June 24th followed by Observation, Streets of Rogue and The Messenger on June 25th
DailyBits Deal Spotlight
Samsung EVO Select for Switch
Don't run out of storage on your Switch!
The Samsung EVO Select range is a microSDXC memory card for the Nintendo Switch, featuring 64GB, 128GB, 256GB or 512GB of high-speed storage. It works in tons of other devices too, from smartphones and laptops to digital cameras.
The memory card is delivered with a handy microSD adapter to support older devices, and offers read speeds up to 100 MB/s, and write speeds up to 90 MB/s. It’s resistant to low and high temperatures, magnetism, X-rays and can even survive a splash of water.
Check out the range of options for the Samsung EVO Select, and if you use our link Daily Bits gets a small commission!
Quiz Answer - Did You Get It Right?
Which Tony Hawk game featured Spiderman as an unlockable skater?
Answer: Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2!
It's unclear whether there's really that much overlap between skateboarders, gamers and Marvel fans, but Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 delivered the goods for everyone inside that venn diagram.
You'll need to complete the campaign 100% with a custom skater to unlock your friendly neighbourhood Spiderman, and he's not just for show either: The webslinger is one of the best skaters in the game.
Spidey's not Birdman's only weird buddy. Darth Maul, Doomguy and Shrek have all hit their decks in the Pro Skater series, so let's hope the upcoming remake includes some weird and wonderful surprises.
Today's issue of DailyBits was written by Gavin Herman, Erlend Grefsrud, Christian Vaz, Simon Priest, and Jamie Davey.