Nintendo announces OLED Switch model
Nintendo has finally announced a new Switch model sporting a “vibrant 7-inch OLED screen,”, set to release on October 8th.
Here's what we know about the price; it'll retail at £309.99 for either the Neon or White coloured variant in the UK, and $349.99 in the US.
That's a £30 increase in price over the base £279.99 Switch model, and then a £100 increase over the £199.99 Switch Lite.
OLED model overview
- Size: 4 inches high, 9.5 inches long, 0.55 inches deep with Joy-Cons
- Weight: Approximately 320g for the base unit, 420g with Joy-Cons
- Screen: 7-inch OLED Capacitive touch screen with 1280×720 resolution
- CPU/GPU: NVIDIA Custom Tegra processor
- Storage: 64 GB, expandable to 2TB (32GB for original Switch)
- Video output: 1080p via HDMI and 720p on built-in screen
- Battery life: Between 4.5 and 9 hours (Same as original Switch)
Skin-deep: The new OLED model does not make any drastic changes to the Switch hardware – in other words, this is not the rumoured Switch Pro that both press and fans have been speculating about. It's a hardware revision with a nicer screen.
Tech specs: The new model is a little heavier than the existing models, but otherwise functions identically. You can see the full technical specifications on Nintendo's website.
Nintendo's manager of product marketing, JC Rodrigo, was asked if it runs any better than the standard Switch, and he confirmed that it doesn't; "Nope. Not what it's for. Stick with the current one if you’re not digging the screen.”