Dying Light 2 and MMO Lost Ark riding high on PC market boom
If SteamDB's data is accurate, then the PC market and particularly Steam, is enjoying healthy growth and frequently seeing new record numbers of concurrent players.
Steam has set two new records already this year, first reaching 28 million consecutive players on January 9th, before smashing that record with over 29 million consecutive players on January 23rd.
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Dota 2 and PUBG dominate Steam
- 29,099,039 concurrent players on February 6th
- Wallpaper Engine tenth on most played chart
Sequels: Dying Light 2 is in sixth place on Steam's live chart of most played games, reaching a peak of 274,983 concurrent players after selling an estimated 2.36 million copies on PC.
MMOs: Smilegate’s free-to-play online action RPG Lost Ark is galloping towards official launch after amassing a peak concurrent player count of 532,476 during its alpha and beta phases, a record the game is expected to break soon.
DLCs: Crusader Kings 3 is also enjoying a surge of concurrent players following the launch of its latest DLC Royal Court, with the number of players spiking from around 20,000 a day to 63,229. DLC continues to play a vital role in bringing the player base back to IPs.
Ports: Sony Santa Monica's much-anticipated PC release of God of War peaked at 73,529 concurrent players and has now settled at 10-15,000 average daily players. This is Sony's latest and most successful port on PC, beating Horizon Zero Dawn with its peak of 56,557 players. Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection is up next, so we'll be watching to see how it performs on PC.
F2Ps: Free-to-play Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel also arrived on Steam last month, and is just behind Dying Light 2 in the most played charts with peaks of around 150,000 concurrent players a day.
Notable upcoming PC releases
- This month: Total War: Warhammer 3 (February 17th), Elden Ring (February 28th)
- Next month: ELEX II (March 1st), Babylon's Fall (March 3rd), Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (March 17th), Ghostwire: Tokyo (March 25th), Tiny Tina's Wonderlands (March 25th), Death Stranding Director's Cut (March 30th), Weird West (March 31st).