GTA trilogy remaster for Nintendo Switch
Get ready for a crime spree on Switch: Rumours say that a remastered Grand Theft Auto trilogy is on the way.
The remaster will not be Switch exclusive and can be expected to hit other platforms as well. It's not the first time the older Grand Theft Auto games get a bit of a facelift since they have been ported to a variety of platforms over the years.
- Grand Theft Auto III launched on PlayStation 2 in October 2001
- Rockstar North was still known as DMA Design
- Brought the already successful series into full 3D
- Later ports replaced original music since licenses lapsed
- Trilogy will include GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas
- Red Dead Redemption could also be a candidate for remastering
Mod police: Rockstar has been cracking down on various community modding efforts aimed at improving and overhauling the older Grand Theft Auto games, and there has been speculation that upcoming remasters could be motivating the sudden interest in fan projects.
November 2021: The remastered versions are apparently powered by Unreal Engine, and uses a mix of old and new graphics. The remasters are expected to launch on Switch and other consoles in early November, though the PC and mobile versions might be delayed until early next year.