Switch shortage looms while PlayStation 4 and Xbox One sales slows down
There have already been reports speculating that the coronavirus outbreak in China could end up affecting the release of Sony and Microsoft’s next-gen consoles, and now Nintendo appears to have trouble fulfilling their Switch manufacturing quotas and might run short of demand in April.
“We do not see any major impact on the shipment to the US currently, but we will remain vigilant and take steps if necessary,” said Nintendo. “It’s possible the supply would be affected by the virus if it becomes more widespread and prolonged.” They’re also postponing pre-orders for Animal Crossing hardware bundles in Japan and South Korea.
Out with the old: The next-gen console announcements has already slackened demand for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, according to the latest US NPD report.
Sales of both consoles have declined even more than expected, with lack of price cuts and the delay of key titles like Cyberpunk 2077 cited as possible explanations. Switch sales remain strong.
Top 5 US games (includes digital) in January 2020:
1. Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019
3. Madden NFL 20
4. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
5. Grand Theft Auto V
Time For A Quick Daily Quiz?
Who was the voice of Sonic in the old American saturday morning cartoons?
- Ryan Drummond
- Martin Burke
- Jason Griffith
- Jaleel White
Samurai Shodown Anthology wasn’t so special – online for me, but not for thee
The 2009 anthology of Samurai Shodown titles, aptly named the Samurai Shodown Anthology, bundled every game in the series starting from SNK’s original 1993 Samurai Shodown and all the way up to 2016’s Samurai Shodown VI from SNK Playmore. Only arcade title Samurai Shodown V Special from 2004 is missing.
Unfortunately, the anthology – which launched on PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable and Wii – didn’t bother including its most tantalizing feature outside of Japan: online multiplayer.
The Week Ahead in Gaming
This Week in Games
This week is heavy on the re-releases. The Vanquish and Bayonetta 10th Anniversary Bundle, Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 ,a collection of retro brawlers and Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition. The biggest new release is Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers.
Tuesday – February 18
- Bayonetta & Vanquish 10th Anniversary Bundle is released for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One
- Hunt: Showdown launches on PlayStation 4
- Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue launches on Xbox One
Thursday – February 20
- Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition launches on Nintendo Switch
- Double Dragon & Kunio-kun Retro Brawler Bundle launches on PlayStation 4 and Switch
- Katana Kami: A Way of the Samurai Story launches on PC, PlayStation 4 and Switch
- Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers launches on PC PlayStation 4 and Switch in Japan